Background

Friday, October 10, 2014

Brave Enough to Enter the Corn Maze

I don't do scary movies. I don't do corn mazes. I don't do haunted houses. My idea of a scary film is Hocus Pocus. The Michael Myers' series would be an example of insanity and pure fright. The Hubster still teases that I'm not the girl he fell in love with because our first date was to a scary movie. (This girl was just trying to impress.)

Tonight we knocked some things off of our Fall Bucket List by visiting the West Farm Corn Maze. The girls played some games, played in corn, sand, and fed some goats. We road a hayride and eventually picked out pumpkins. What happened in between the hayride and pumpkin picking was what brought on my anxiety. The corn maze. Have I mentioned I don't do corn mazes?

Little Miss was so excited. The Hubster's ego was on full blast as he bragged about being able to finish fast and I was sweating. Totally freaking out.

I asked at least 25 questions, including, "How long is it?" "Are there any lights?" "You mean like a real 2.8 miles?" "How many exits are there?" "Wait. One? Are you serious?" "Will there be anyone lurking in the corn? You know to take us?"

"No, ma'am."

My husband was already 4 feet in walking away in embarrassment.

Needless to say it took us 40 minutes to get out and that was after 30 minutes of wandering around. I eventually gave up and screamed for help. It was pitch black. We argued the entire time about which way to go. Little Miss was skipping around all joyfully like one of those freakish girls in the movies I don't watch. Random people were turning corners without flashlights, not sure if they were even real. The Hubster left the stroller so we took turns carrying Baby Miss. The corn was extremely creepy, about 6 1/2 feet tall, moving in the breeze. I swear I saw at least 5 non-human figures and felt my neck touched twice. Not to mention, The Hubster was drenched in sweat and I was covered in bug bites.

Whew! Two words. . . never. again.

Though the corn maze was totally out of my element and left me uncomfortable, I did it. I did it to make my people happy. It was an experience. A brave experience. A brave experience I'll never forget.

Jeanell

No comments:

Post a Comment