Background

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

A Ten Dollar Bill

A few weeks ago I decided to set a goal. Surprised? I wanted to save money, so I came up with a plan. I made a chart from $10 to $1000 and decided to save $10 at a time. I went to Publix and proudly requested cash back. I looked at the chart when I got home but didn't cross off the first box. I don't know why. A week passed and the crisp $10 bill still sat in my wallet. Temptation passed many times and I still hadn't spent it. Week two came along and I was finally ready to put it in a cute mason jar and put a fat red X through the first box on my chart. I was on my way to $1000.

Fast forward to tonight. Why in the world in 93 degree weather would I decide to take my girls to the park? I don't know. I knew The Hubster needed a break and I try to spend as much time with my kids after work. Even if it means cuddling on the couch with a book or dancing in the kitchen. Today was just one of those days I wanted to get outside. The car was loaded, we ran to the library and were finally on our way to the park. After getting lost, calling my husband for directions, and driving in a circle, we finally made it.

I pulled up and parked in the parking lot. Only one car was there. A dad and his son playing tennis. Not one momma or baby in sight. First thought, either the heat index is higher than it indicates and I'm the only crazy momma out here with her kids, OR the dad and son were actually zombies dressed as humans waiting for us to enter the playground so they could devour us. I decided to go with my gut and figured I was just the only crazy momma outside. I pushed the girls in the swing and watched them go down the slide. Eventually another momma showed up with her daughter and all was well with the world.

Until we decided to leave  the playground.

We were on our way to the car to grab the stroller and Little Miss' bicycle when I saw a woman. She was very thin and pacing in the parking lot. Her clothing seemed too big for her body and she wasn't wearing a bra. I stopped, grabbed LM's hand and said, "Let's wait". I tried not to judge, but I did. I assumed she was either on drugs or waiting around for me to return to my car so she could shank me and steal my kids OR she had a posse of people waiting in the woods and she was going to set me up in some tragic way.  Terrible, I know. You have no idea what goes through this head.

I noticed that she parked two spaces away from me but only sat in her driver's seat with the door open. Plus, she had no kids at the playground.  After realizing that the dad and his son were in fact actual humans, I made sure to stay in their sight and approached my car anyway. I quickly grabbed the bicycle, unlocked and assembled the stroller, and had both girls back on the sidewalk in 30 seconds. I have an alarm in my gut that I believe every momma is born with.  It was blaring, so I moved quickly.

Once I felt that we were safely back on the side walk and in plain view of the other people, I felt a little at ease. We did our walk, Little Miss rode her bike, but I never let my guard down. I just didn't feel right. I don't know why. We made several laps and I saw her still pacing, sitting at the benches, talking on her phone, which I assumed was fake and a way to lure me in for the shank. (I know, I need help.)

Once we completed our mile, we made our way back to the car. Of course. She was still there. She was on the phone and I could hear her say things like, "I ran out. . . I need more gas. . . Please just come get me. . . I'll pay you back. . . I get a check".

As I was loading the car, we made eye contact, and despite my gut feeling, I smiled anyway. I've heard those things save lives. The girls were finally in the car and I felt like I had survived a war. I sat down in my car and as the blaring alarm subsided, something said, "That's me." I looked across those two parking spaces and saw Him, plain as day. That's when I did something crazy. I got out of my car. I walked up to her and I said hi. I asked if she was okay. I asked if she was out of gas.

She responded yes. She was nearly on E. She had to get her 3 kids from their dad in one city and take them back to her house in a town about 30 minutes away. She explained she wasn't going to make it.

I asked if she called someone.

"Yea, I been tryna tell 'em I'll pay 'em back. I get one check a month for one of my kids, but ain't nobody got no money to give me."

I said, "Oh. Okay" and walked back to my car.

I heard it once more."That's me!" My heart was tugged again.

I did crazy thing number two. I reached for my wallet and pulled out that crisp $10 bill. I walked near her and said, "I don't mean to be rude, but I have children to protect. I'm going to put this $10 here and it's yours."

I placed it in the grass and nearly darted to my car before the ninja turtle posse hopped out of the woods to get me.

Before I even made it back to my car, I heard her move. I turned around and saw her shuffling with things on her lap. I just knew it was a case of ninja stars.

After moving a number of things to the passenger seat so she could get out, she finally lifted a big book.

A Bible.

She got out of the car,  picked up the $10, looked up to the sky, then to me and said, "Thank you. Thank you. May God bless you 400 times over"

I don't know and will never know if she was telling the truth. I do know that sometimes serving others can feel uncomfortable. Sometimes following your heart is intense and makes you wonder the craziest of things. I know that I  looked in her eyes and I saw her soul. I saw a mom, I saw a woman, I saw desperation, I saw me, I saw Him. She was created for greatness and though our circumstances may be different, she's His daughter just as much as I am.

I quickly buckled up and left the parking lot. Before I made it to the stop sign the tears had reached their surface.

God is so good.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I LOVE this! Whether she was telling the truth or not, it doesn't matter. I believe God tugs at our heart just to see if we will do what he asks us to do, no matter how frightening it maybe. Doing for others usually blesses us more than it ever does for that person. Cheers to you girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, I agree, it isn't my place to know whether she was being honest. I felt my heart tugged and obeyed. It wasn't easy, but my goal is to glorify Him, isn't it? Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete