Background

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Brave Enough to be Interrupted



Interrupted is a book about serving the needy that isn't about serving the needy. 

Jen Hatmaker is digging deep into the Word to uncover what God really meant when he said, "Feed my sheep". (John 21:17)

I'm half way through the book and I only started it yesterday. Jen shares what happens when she prayed a prayer asking to be moved, "God raise up in me a holy passion". 

She discusses what it means to meet those where they are versus being stationary in our church setting and waiting for the poor, tired, and hungry to come to us. 

Many statistics are shared about our world which I find enlightening to know such people are in our own backyards. Jen shares the reality of how difficult it is to break and sacrifice oneself for another. 
She shares that being uprooted from your comfort zone and having your world rocked by Jesus is what it means to lose 'self' and be with the least of them. 

My favorite is when she wrote, "In order for God's kingdom to come, my kingdom had to go."

Wow. 

What would happen if we were brave enough to stop keeping up with the Joneses? What if we rid ourselves the worry of having the next best thing and used our gifts to serve others? To be Jesus in the streets? To carry the burdens of our neighbors? 

Wow. 

I can't wait to see what the other half  of the book has in store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment