Background

Saturday, August 30, 2014

30 Miles in September

September is around the corner and I couldn't be more excited. I love me some fall. I get to wear scarves, cardigans, and barely have to shave my legs. Pure bliss! Though I'm a summer baby, there's something about this season that make my little heart happy.

I get excited with each new month because I see it as a blank slate, a few weeks full of new mercies and chances to get it right. A month to make memories and celebrate. I've set two goals for the month of September. Both are related to fitness/health. Both are simple, maybe even 'easy' to some, but for myself will require intention and dedication.

For the entire month of September I will commit to drinking no soda and more water. I will also run/walk 30 miles within the month. Honestly, I'm not sure if I will see any major changes or even shed a pound, but filling my body with what it needs and being active can't hurt, right?

I picked up an awesome water bottle (Contigo 32 oz)  from Wal-Mart a while back. (This is not a paid ad) It cost about $14. I love it because it has the ounces marked. It has the one button pop-up feature and it's 100% BPA free. For some reason I seem to drink more water when I'm sipping from a straw, so this bottle is perfect. I leave it on my desk at work, teach a lesson, sip, teach a lesson, and sip some more. You get the point. Before I know it, I'm like "Bam! 32 oz like a boss!" This baby will be by my side for the next 30 days.

 
As far as 30 miles are concerned, I plan to run and/or walk the miles over the course of the month. I'll be using the Map My Run app. It's pretty accurate at calculating my location and distance. I know there will be days when I don't feel like running or walking. I'll leave a faculty meeting and be exhausted. The T.V. will call my name and the couch will look comfy.  I know how I am. I get excited about something and after a week, "Squirrel!", I move on to the next thing. The good news is that I also know how running/walking makes me feel. Hitting the pavement may kill my knees at times, but the freedom of running at my own pace, ear buds in place, and basking in the sun behind trees is far more exhilarating than sulking in self-pity. I don't want to label myself as a 'runner'. Goodness, I know I'm not one, but I do want to make some changes. I want to be active. I've gone to a few classes here and there at the Y and loved them, but life happens. School is back in session, soccer starts in a few weeks and it won't be as easy to load my people up and drive to the Y. Stepping outside with my sneakers and a goal seems like the best way to be consistent and work on my health. It's also much easier to have the kids. Little Miss can ride her bike and  I can strap the babes in the stroller. Boom.
 
I posted these two goals on social media. I figured I wasn't the only one who wanted a fresh start and it also helps to have accountability partners. To keep track of  the miles, I created a printable. As I run or walk each mile, I'll color them in and keep it posted on my wall for motivation. Visuals tend to help when it come to accomplishing goals. If you care to join me on this journey, e-mail me at aboveandbeyond4@gmail.com for a free copy of the printable.  I'm not a professional fitness guru by any means, so please go at your own pace. Remember that the most important thing is to move. I'll also be posting updates along the way and will use the hashtag 30milesinseptember. I would LOVE to keep up with you on your journey. We can do this! Happy September, peeps!
 
~Jeanell

No comments:

Post a Comment