Background

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Right Now

Yesterday I submitted my last assignments for grad school. I've been looking forward to that moment for a long time now. When it happened, I was sure I was going to scream, cry, or dance around naked. I did none of the above. (You're welcome.) I closed my laptop and I exhaled. I didn't even realize that after a nearly two year journey, what I looked forward to most was breathing. 

If you ask the Hubster, he would agree that I have a hard time sitting still. I constantly jump from one thing to the next. Interest turns into excitement which turns into anxiety which often turns into "What was I thinking?" Now that grad school is over and I'm on maternity leave, it's only natural for my mind to wander to what I can accomplish next. Which project can I tackle on my list? Which craft do I want to try? Which bandwagon will I hop on? (Adult coloring is a thing. A very good thing.) 

However, lately my heart has taken a new turn. I feel that He's calling me to be still. 
I have this desire to do absolutely nothing. A lot of people have wondered why I'm taking additional weeks off after having a summer baby. The truth is I went back to work right at six weeks with both my girls and both times I struggled. I struggled emotionally and it took a while for my mind to actually work when at work. All I could think of was how I wanted to be home. Now that I've completed my master's program, I don't want to jump right back into work. I want to ease into it and take it day by day. I want to soak in every moment and milestone. 

I find that we often get pressured into jumping into the next thing. We earn a degree and are asked if we are considering the next program. We have a baby and are asked if we want more. We make purchases and consider upgrades almost immediately. I wonder how much slower the world would turn if we just sat and enjoyed what we had. Being grateful in the moment can do measures on your well-being. 

"Enough is a feast." -Buddhist Proverb

How much happier would I be if I didn't overlook the small things for the next big thing? I'm challenging myself to face the day with gratitude…to appreciate every gesture, laugh, tantrum, smile, cry, time-out, hug, "I love you", piece of laundry, apology, diaper, and moment with my people. I want to appreciate every star in the sky. There are blessings to be found. Blessings are in the now…the 'right where we are' moments. We just have to listen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment