Background

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Brave Enough to Rest

Sometimes the fear of missing out on things causes us to do more than we can handle. We load our calendars with events and say yes to every invitation for fear of displeasing others. I'm reading The Best Yes by Lysa Terkeurst and her words are golden. I'm learning how to say no, and when I do say yes, to make it my best one. Her advice to turn to God and listen to your heart before making a decision has changed the way I think. A lot.

We've had a crazy week over here in Marvinville. (I just made that up.) Little Miss has had her tonsils and adenoids removed and I lost my last two wisdom teeth yesterday. Needless to say we're resting this weekend.

I don't know about you, but for me resting can me hard. Along with waiting, surprises, and anything else that requires me to relinquish all control. When I woke up, I immediately wanted to do something. The weather is perfect. It's October. And hello, it's Saturday. Should we take a walk? Should we start cracking down on our Fall Bucket List and visit the Pumpkin Patch? Should we go to the park? No, no, and no. Little Miss can't have any physical activity for another week and a half and I'm on pain meds so I definitely need to slow my roll. So today we are home. We sit and we are still.

There's nothing on our agenda today. Not a thing. Though that feels odd, it is necessary. I've learned that basking in these rare rest moments enables me to reflect on so many different things. Tasks, relationships, and circumstances that are usually swept under the rug become my focal point and I can better decide how to deal. The state of being 'Unrushed' brings the most important things to light.

So, if you're looking for me. I'll be on the couch watching t.v., reading books, and resting. Because sometimes being brave means listening to your body and slowing down.

Jeanell

No comments:

Post a Comment